We pride ourselves on our safety record and are fully equipped for all circumstances on the weekend with a Garda escort, motorbike outriders, ambulances and mechanics’ vans. We also have buses to allow any cyclist have a break. You DO NOT need to be able to cycle the full distance to come and join in!
We organise weekly training cycles to both increase overall fitness levels as well as teach everyone the proper etiquette when cycling in a group. These cycles are at a comfortable pace (approx 25 km/hr) and everyone is taken care of. The below is a brief outline of our training arrangements:
- Training leaves from the Maynooth University South Campus at 10am on Saturday and Sunday mornings, starting in January.
- For insurance purposes, each cyclist must be a member of Cycling Ireland, holding a Leisure or Competition license (Cycling Support License is not adequate).
- Attendance is compulsory at two mandatory training sessions. There will be two weekends in February and two in March on each of which one cycle must be attended. If you are unable to do so due to extenuating circumstances, please email email@example.com to explain. Please see the training plan for specific dates for this year.
- Helmet (no helmet, no cycle)
- Proof of your Membership with Cycling Ireland
- Your bicycle must have a red rear light
- Your bicycle must have a rear mudguard that extends sufficiently to prevent spray on riders behind you
- For each training cycle, bring an isotonic drink, some food (such as bananas, chocolate, flapjacks etc) and some shopping money (€3)
- Spare tube and a pump
- Padded shorts – especially if you want to sit down again… ever
- Gloves & warm footwear
- Light rain jacket
Registering For The Weekend
Registration for the cycle will cost €50, plus handling fees. This is in the form of a deposit, to help cover the initial costs of the weekend. This €50 can be taken from your final sponsorship (i.e. if you have to raise €400, you can hand in €350 therefore recouping your €50).
Cyclists need to raise:
- Student Cyclist (any university) – €200
- Galway Cycle Alumni Cyclist – €350
- Cyclist – €400
NOTE: All cyclists must be licensed with Cycling Ireland prior to registering. Click here to find instructions.
If there are any difficulties in raising your required total, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or look at our fundraising ideas page!